High performance computing is also known as Supercomputers. They were first introduced in 1960’s invented by Seymour Cray. It has a modern processing capability that enables them to solve problems in a very, very short time. Imagine hundreds and thousands of people thinking different problems all at the same time, all of these problem is actually part of a much bigger issue, an issue that is now possible to solve in just days or hours instead of years. This is what we call high performance computing.
What are the advantages that supercomputing give to businesses?
HPC lets you do calculations even faster than a traditional processor. This means that it can speed things up for many time wasting business applications. The advantages of this can be seen in different ways depending on which aspect you are looking at. For example you are processing information in a traditional processor, with HPC you can process the data much faster and more detailed results.
Here is the top list for the fastest supercomputers in the world
- The NUDT Tianhe – 2 that is located in Guangzhou, China that has the highest peak speed of 33.86PFLOPS (PetaFLoating Point Operations Per Second)
- Cray Titan, located in Oak Ridge, USA, with a peak speed of 17.59 PFLOPS
- IBM Sequoia, in Livermore, USA, with a peak speed of 17.17 PFLOPS
- Fujitsu K computer, located in Kobe, Japan, with a peak speed of 10.51 PFLOPS
- Tianhe – IA in Tianjin,China, with a peak speed of 2.566 PFLOPS
- Cray Jaguar, located also in Oak Ridge, USA, with a peak speed of 1.759 PFLOPS
- IBM Roadrunner found in Los Alamos, USA, with peak levels of 1.026 and 1.105 PFLOPS
- IIoTMPrithvi in Pune, India, with peak speed of 0.790 PFLOPS
How can high performance help with your business?
Most big businesses today have vast amounts of data but don’t have the ability to store and analyze them efficiently to solve business issues such as how to enhance products even faster, increase profits and follow industry standards. Not until very recently, supercomputers are really expensive and too hard to understand for most businesses to adapt to their servers. You can adapt HPC with the right type of infrastructure to make your business have additional value and high competitive advantage from other businesses. From the IT’s point of view, your team can have the opportunity to innovate and help bring good results at present, and in your company’s future.
Benefits and Advantages of HPC on Different fields of Science
- Medical imaging, such as the CT scan and 3D ultrasound real time X-ray
- Data managing, such as SQL application and data warehousing
- Financial or Trading, such as the Monte Carlo simulations, Black Scholes model, derivatives trading and the BGM/LIBOR market model
- CODEC, data minimization, security
- On oil and gas, 3D imaging understanding, seismic data reading in order to avoid problems in drilling that can both lessen production and increase damage to the environment, and accurate reservoir modeling for better oil recovery
- In bioscience, gene and protein observation
- Weather forecasting, they use HPC to observe and analyze data for a more accurate weather forecasting
- 3D nuclear test practice
- Molecular progress duplication
- Could be used in reenacting the possible spreading of epidemics, giving the health officials to interfere even before it happens
Supercomputers are really expensive, including the capital and the cost of running it, can be up to 100 million Euros for a major one. Not all users need the constant access to an HPC, instead it is better to just invest on a smaller machine making it a cheaper way of getting access to the technology.